Thursday, August 28, 2008

Reality Strikes...

10th March 2008
Didn’t get much sleep because I thought I saw a cockroach on my bed, until I eventually realised that I had in fact dreamt it up. Was woken up at 6:30 am to the birds chirping. Heard an owl hooting so I thought to myself “something bad is going to happen today” (me and my aunt were having a discussion about superstition the night before). Concluded that I was being paranoid and went back to sleep. Once I did eventually wake up to join everyone else downstairs, I see my aunt watching the news in her room next door to mine. Headline news, bomb blast in Wellawatta early morning on the main Galle Road, during rush hour. School kids injured. Very close by to my aunt’s main house. The sick feeling in my stomach is a familiar one.


Spent the rest of the day visiting my grandfather, and other family and friends. By the end of the day the official story had been released. An elderly male beggar, on spotting the unusually placed roadside bag, went up close and grasped onto it, thus taking the main impact of the explosion and saving a few other lives. Four school children were seriously injured.

No comments: